Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Thyme-Garlic Roasted Asparagus

When I was reading through this magazine and picking out recipes to make for my challenge, I thought if I made this one, it really shouldn't count. It is too close to my normal go-to asparagus recipe. But, I had some asparagus in the fridge and decided to try it as written. I am very glad that I did! The result was a very garlicky thyme scented vegtable dish. My usual consist of spreading the asparagus on a pan, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and bake for 10 minutes at 400. This was a little bit more involved, but I would definately make it again, as long as I already had the cutting board out. I think by placing the garlic under the asparagus, that keeps it from burning. Here is the recipe that was in the magazine:

Thyme-Garlic Roasted Asparagus

"I created this hassle-free asparagus recipe, and my guests love it every time." --Lynda Bennett, Belvedere, CA

3 garlic cloves, minced
Cooking spray
1 pound asparagus, trimmed
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 400°.

Spread garlic in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange asparagus in an even layer over garlic; drizzle with oil. Combine thyme and salt; sprinkle evenly over asparagus. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender, turning once. Yield: 4 servings

CALORIES 45 (24% from fat); FAT 1.2g (sat 0.2g,mono 0.9g,poly 0.1g); PROTEIN 2.6g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 31mg; SODIUM 146mg; FIBER 2.6g; IRON 0.6mg; CARBOHYDRATE 5.8g

Cooking Light, JUNE 2007

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm in on the challenge .. but I'm upping the stakes and trying to choose the recipes with produce that is "in season" this time of year since we have that wonderful market ... so asparagus, artichokes, peas, and that blueberry sauce are on my list. I'll keep you posted! .... Robin