Monday, June 18, 2007

Cooking!

Yay! Another entry in the challenge, submitted by our bride to be, on the bride to be diet:

Hey Kerri, since I can’t exactly commit to one recipe per week, I decided to do 3.5 of them tonight for dinner. All turned out great!

First, we had the red pepper hummus. Although those darn red peppers are hard to peal (broiler not so effective), it turned out great. I served it with pita slices for a yummy appetizer. I used roasted garlic instead of regular, and although it tasted good with the one cloves, hummus isn’t good unless it’s bug repellent, so I added several more.

**I hate roasting my own peppers and almost always use jarred. And hummus can be good and non-bug repelling!!**


For dinner, we had the
Grilled Chicken and Tapenade Sandwiches, the side of veggies it discusses, and the New Potato Salad. For the sandwiches, the only thing I changed was that I used no oil at all. I know, I know, the world likes oil. Scott LOVED this dish and was very impressed. I gave him some fancy roll for the bread and I used some of my low calorie sandwich bread for mine. I thought it was very yummy and very satisfying. The olives are the best part, so use lots of those. Also, I used a mixture of fresh and dried herbs as I didn’t want to buy 14 different ones for 1 Tb each… We grilled the veggies. Super simple. Very yummy. I normally do a spice mixture, but I stuck to the salt & pepper (with non-stick spray) and the balsamic before serving. Very yummy.
The potato salad was a surprise hit. I personally thought it was outstanding, and I used the “almost fat free” mayo that I have in the house. Scott had no idea! He thought it had great flavor and gave it two thumbs up. I didn’t have any white wine vinegar, so I used seasoned rice vinegar instead.

**I will probably make that sandwich sometime this week and hopefully add on the potato salad since it got such a good review**

So those are my reviews. Overall, everything turned out great. I would definitely make these recipes again. Very healthy – no oil, but also very satisfying and tasty!

2 comments:

Mel said...

Woohooo, I can live vicariously through a blog now. I've made it through a third-party blogger! The meal was quite tasty and worked well together, so I'm having my entire family over for July 4th and I'm making it again. In the meantime, I have lots of leftovers. That's my favorite part.

Anonymous said...

The one trick I've learned when dealing with roasted pepper skins is to put them in a ziplock after you have roasted them (while they are still hot) for 15 minutes to "sweat". The skin sort of seperates from the pepper flesh and they are a lot easier to peel.
... Robin