Thursday, February 3, 2011

Vegan Day 5 and 6. Going out and how I am doing this

The last couple of days were normal in my household. By normal, I mean super crazy busy! Last night I went out with a bunch of local moms. We are a totally hot group:

Photobucket

We went to a sushi/bar type place, met around 7:30, talked and talked until 9 when we finally at dinner. Were kicked out about 10:30 because of a mixer. I guess we were too old. I had a 9:30 class the next day, so I took my butt home. However, some of these crazy ladies went to TTT. I am pretty sure they were the oldest there.

Everyone was interested in my new vegan diet. Ordering was pretty simple. I got a veggie roll and edadame (pictured) and an avacado roll later.

Photobucket

The reason for this gathering was as a send of for a friend who is moving to da north. Her name is Jennie and she went to my church and was in my playgroup. Ahhh, so hard to use past tense! After they get to where they are moving to, Jennie says she is going vegan. Seems like the perfect time to start since they will have to buy all new groceries anyways.

Really what started this whole thing for many of these moms, or who, was Shannon. Shannon joined our playgroup and after a couple of weeks offhand mentioned that they were vegan. My first thought, horror. After they had a new baby, I was suppose to bring them a meal and off course James comes down with strep throat. My solution: Pizza hut gift card. Horror for me in more ways then one. But I was very interested, really more in a culinary way, in a challenge way, but not for me. Time past and I just starting thinking more and more about it. I read The China Study and so did many of the other moms in the playgroup. We all peppered poor Shannon with question after question. Finally, she graciously offered to host a vegan lunch for us a couple of weeks ago. She had us over, we looked through her pantry, her cookbooks, she answered questions, we had a vegan lunch (bread, hummus, veggies, pita, vegan cookies), and then made vegan wontons to freeze and take home. By this point, I felt that I had bugged her this much, I might as well do it. Shannon has really been great about this whole thing. She says she is doing this to be able to talk to other people about food and get new recipes. I have tried to pay her back with that. ;)

Shannon's meals are simpler than mine: some roasted veggies, some rice in the rice cooker, and some cooked greens. She has also given us a few of her staples and I can't wait to try them. I just wanted to give credit where credit is due. I am not sure what I will do at the end of this challenge, but so far, it has been fun.

No comments: