Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Happy 4th

Politics anyone? Hopefully this post won't be too bad, but since it is the 4th and I haven't posted all week, I feel the need to say something. I started blogging in my head on this topic since Sunday. Our church was doing their version of the "Patriotic Show" where a couple was singing a medley of patriotic songs. It probably should have been very moving, but really it just made me sad. You think of when those songs were written and what they were writing about and you just have to wonder, where did we go wrong? I just feel like this country is just at each others throats and over what, how much we should pay in taxes? That is just crazy. It is like everyone picked the teams they were going to be on and that means you should HATE the other team. No, "liberals" is not a 4 letter world and they not are stupid. No, President Bush is not evil with his conservative drones that are only looking out for themselves. I might be on the track team and you might play volleyball, but we all go to the same school. What is the biggest problem with this platform of hate is that I feel people are changing their own beliefs and experiences to better align with their team, and that should NEVER happen.

Perhaps I am naive, but I just see people who are trying to do the best they know how, but somewhere along the way, we forgot to look at the big picture. There are pluses and minuses with every solution to a problem and that is what compromise is all about. The thing is that everyone has a place in this and everyone can help stop it. Try being a little more open minded. Try not talking about your political beliefs like you are a teenage girl talking about the new girlfriend of the boy you like. Try treating people with respect.

Big hugs to everyone out there! Have a good 4th!

9 comments:

Lauren P said...

Well put! Hey, since you're into all this healthy cooking....do you happen to have a healthier version of chicken pot pie on your hands??

wirrek said...

Why yes I do. Let me try to get your email address and I will email it to you tomorrow, or maybe this link will work
http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=17116&highlight=%22chicken+pie%22

wirrek said...

Yep, it works, just copy and paste into the address window. This is the recipe I bring to new mothers. I serve it with a black bean salad and brownies for dessert.

Andee said...

Hey, I didn't get this when I was a new monther! :-( LOL. You are totally correct - that people need to be more open-minded about other people's beliefs and not take it to personally. Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean that I have to hate you.

Andee said...

Mother, not monther. I SO wish that they had spell check on this thing......

wirrek said...

New mothers that live far away get muffins and cinnamon bread. Hey, we got to work with what we have!

Mel said...

What do new wives get????

wirrek said...

New wives get cookbooks so they can make their own!

Lauren P said...

Thanks!! I've been craving pot pie but not willing to have 1500 calories in one at Chicken Out. Not to mention I've had beef every night this week. =) Plan to try it out over the weekend.