Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Top 5

Awhile ago, Mark and I were eating at one of our favorite restaurants in Charleston, Hominy Grill, and we started talking about the other good restaurants we have eaten at. These are restuarants that aren't necessarily fancy smancy, just places you have gone and always had a good time. It took awhile, but I finally came up with my top 5 picks. So here they are, in no particular order, my top 5 restaurants (and by the way, there are actually 6 on my list)

Hominy Grill, Charleston, SC. We decided to try this one after seeing it on $40 a day. So glad we did. The food is creative and yummy and they specialize in local ingredients. It is out of the way from the main tourist areas, so it has a nice character to it. Skip all those other restaurants in Charleston (Magnolia, SNOB, etc) and go to the Hominy Grill. Downside: they have really cut back on their dinner hours, the don't take reservations, and the wine list leaves a lot to be desired.

Sullivan's, Anderson, SC. I don't want to knock the restaurants in Clemson. Calhoun Corners and Pixie and Bill's are very good. But there is just something missing from those restaurants, and Sullivan's has it. Maybe it is the professional wait staff, or maybe the wine cellar, but Sullivan's always impresses me. I have only been their twice though...maybe I should go back. Downside: it is way down there, all the way to downtown Anderson.

The Waterfront, Maui, HI. Those of you who are going on your honeymoon to Maui are probably going to kill me. I had Mama's Fish House on my list, but kept thinking about this one. It was a last minute switch. Mama's is good, very good, but everyone knows it. The Waterfront is still a small and intimate restaurant with great food. The wait staff was so nice and they had the best caesar salad I have ever had...even better than my own. Downside: it is hard to find and the location isn't all that great.

Mr. B's Bistro, New Orleans, LA. This might be unamerican of me to say, but Mark and I were never that impressed with New Orleans. It was nice and all, but very touristy. The restaurants are good, but everyone always goes to the same places. Plus, they do this weird team-style service. This restaurant wasn't one that everyone talks about. It is owned by the famous Brennan family, who also owns, go figure, Brennan's, and most people go there. This was a nice restaurant, but still felt comfortable. The BBQ shrimp is out of this world. Downside: Like most restaurants in New Orleans, it is inconsistent.

Jorg's Cafe Vienna, Plano, TX. Every time someone was in town to visit, we took them here. Why? It was casual and affordable, but the food was great. They have lots of wursts to choose from, but I was always a fan of the schnitzels. Yum, yum! Downside: they don't take reservations for parties less than 6 and I wouldn't go there if you are on a diet.

Amici's, Carrollton, TX. Mark and I would always go to Amici's for special occasions. I always seemed to have an injury on our anniversary, but I would still clomp up the stairs in my walking cast and nice dress to go here. The menu is impressive enough, but then there are loads of interesting specials. It is BYOB, which it actually fun. You look around at this nice restaurant and can see all the coolers that people brought. Downside: none come to mind!

What restaurants are in your top 5 (or 6, or 3)?


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a little hole-in-the-wall restaurant in Charleston off of one of the marsh's called "Anchorline." Great "junk seafood!!!" The menu is limited but what they serve is delicious and is typical of local area. Not anywhere you want for a nice sit down dinner, but awesome for lunch and go as you are place.

wirrek said...

Thanks for the tip. Mark and I love lunch places and will definately check it out next time we are down there.

Mark said...

As far as Maui restaurants, I would put Sorrento's at the top of the list, followed by Roy's (even though it is a chain and there is one in Plano, TX). Sorrento's because it is RIGHT ON THE BEACH and they had the best tomato & mozzarella salad ever. Roy's because they had the best lamb chops ever.

Sweet T said...

I agree with Sullivan's and will have to add Augusta Grill in Greenville, SC.

wirrek said...

Thanks, I have a feeling we will be trying out the August Grill in the near future!

Anonymous said...

Try out Sassafras as well in G'ville. Very Good. Nice atmosphere. For a really EXPENSIVE meal, there is always Restaurant "O" near the Peace Center.

Robin said...

Only 5? I could go on and on about dining!
Ok, in no particular order:
1. Hattie's - Dallas, TX (the food is great but I really go for the Texas Cosmopolitan)

2. Steel/Yamaguchi's - Dallas, TX (can't decide ... both have wonderfully reliable sushi ... just depends on if you feel like getting dolled up (Steel) or going as is (Yamaguchi's)).

3. Toy's Cafe - Dallas, TX (fresh, fresh, fresh Thai food. Menu is small and it's vegetarian only ... but fantastic!)

4. Fig Tree - San Antonio, TX (there are not too many places that I would recommend on the river walk but I had a very memorable al fresco meal here once).

5. Chez Bananas - Minneapolis, MN ( a great little carribean-ish place in the warehouse district ... if it still exists)

6. Maxwell's - Berlin, Germany (you know a place is going to be good when they bring out a little sample from the chef before your meal)