Saturday, May 5, 2007

I make my own baby food!

So, lately I have been feeling a little inadequate as a mommy. Not sure why, maybe it is because I have started the weaning process, or because I don't co-sleep, or maybe it is because James can't seem to get past fractions and onto algebra. Just kidding about that last one. But the foodie in me wants to cry out and everyone who knows me already had a clue, "YES, I make my own baby food." So there.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

For recipes and tips, I use www.wholesomebabyfood.com. They have beginning recipes for fruits, veggies, and meat. They also have different finger food ideas and even teething biscuits for older babies.

Although, it is not as easy as opening a jar, baby food is pretty easy to make. I simply cook fruits or veggies very well, then puree in a food processor. I freeze the baby food in ice cube trays in an easy 1 oz serving size.

One of the main reasons I do it is to save money. To be honest, I don't know if it is that much cheaper, but I just pay attention to sales. I have picked up a 1 lb bag of carrots for a dollar, two cans of pears in juice for 88 cents, and a bag of frozen peaches for $1.50.

A favorite recipe is Lentil Stew. Simply put about 1/4-1/2 cup lentils in a pot, add 1 or 2 pealed potatoes...and maybe a carrot, throw in a few cherry tomatoes and a dash of paprika, then cover with water and cook until everything is soft. Puree in food processor and freeze. It makes a ton and I usually add a cube or two of green veggies for a well balanced meal.

No comments: