Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Cooking Light Challenge for June

Anyone feel like participating in a challenge? It isn't so much that you are competing against people, but more trying to challenge yourself. See, I had been a subscriber to Cooking Light since the Jan/Feb 2000 issue. I received that first subscription as a gift (Thanks Craig!) and it is what started me on my foodie journey. However, I have really starting coming away from Cooking Light with other recipe sources (Food Network) and to be honest, you start seeing the same recipes over and over. With the move and everything, I let my subscription run out, but I just picked up the June issue at the grocery store. I haven't looked at it except the index in the back to figure out how best to do this challenge.

Here are the rules:
- Make one recipe from this issue each week, plus two additional squeezed in somewhere.
- It is ok to substitute as long as the frame of the recipe remains the same (ie, if the recipe calls for skim milk and all you have is 2% by all means, use your 2%)
- One recipe should be something you would not normally try. This can contain an ingredient you don't normally cook with or I might try an appetizer or dessert since I usually don't make those from this magazine.
- Bonus: Make an entire meal from this magazine.

Anyone in?

5 comments:

Andee said...

Can I make things like Hamburger Helper and Chicken Rice-a-Roni? Because that is what I cook the best..... Maybe Will will want to do it, he is the "scratch" cook of the house.

wirrek said...

Sigh, that is why it is a CHALLENGE, to get out of your normal routine. The rules are more for me, but if you would like to have your challenge be to cook once from the magazine, I'll allow it.

Anonymous said...

Do you hate people always wanting to bend the rules? Since I'm out of the country ... can I choose a recipe from the same month but from the years 2003-2005 ... because that's all the cooking light recipes I have here! ... Robin :)

wirrek said...

I'll allow it. Just try to try something new! If you want to look at this month's cooking light recipes, I think you can go to cookinglight.com, community, what's new and a list of the June recipes will be there. They aren't up yet, but keep checking.

Mel said...

Yikes, maybe I could do 1 for the whole month :)