Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Babywearing!!

This ain't yo mamma's bijorn!

What kind of hippie, granola thing is babywearing? Well, it is a new way to practice attachment parenting. You know, co-sleeping, breastfeeding, making your own baby food and all that. Basically, you "wear" your baby in a baby carrier so they feel close to you and secure. I got into it after having to return the bijorn I borrowed from a friend. James hated the bijorn, or maybe he hated being worn, or maybe he just hated acid reflux and colic. However, I liked being able to carry him hands free when I need to get things done, so I started looking into getting a baby carrier. The bijorn and our sling had a 20 lb weight limit. Hmmm, so those won't work for much longer. After researching through amazon.com, I bought the ella roo mei hip.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I was intimidated by a lot of the carriers out there, and this one looked easy. Well, it is a nice carrier, loved the fabric, but it is best used for quick trips. I am using it a lot more now since James outgrew his infant seat.

The second carrier I got was the ergo.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

LOVE this one. This is our workhorse. You can wear in the front or the back. Going to the grocery store is great with James in the front carry and my keys and wallet are in the handy pocket. We have used the back carry for easy hikes. After awhile, James goes to sleep in it.

Ok, so now I have a problem. My name is Kerri and I like to buy baby carriers. This next one is the ella roo mei tai.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The mei tais (MT) are one of the standards in baby carriers. I really wanted a Kozy Carrier, but I didn't like the fabric choices. I think this one is so cute. It is easier on and off than the ergo, and works great as a sunday church going carrier. I like to put James in the back carry position in the late afternoon if he starts getting cranky and finish up my daily chores.

This next one is a maya ring sling. I bought it for my sister, and just took a picture of James in it before giving it to her.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It works well with the little babies, but you can also do a hip carry in it. I really wanted this one, but don't really need it. Maybe for my next little one.

4 comments:

Andee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andee said...

OK - I am going to try again - here is what I said, and then it got deleted for some reason....

LOL, Kerri! At least you admit you have a problem!

Joyce said...

Have you ever thought about publishing a book of "Kerri's Best Finds for Young Mothers" and then you could include your stories. You could have additional sequence books for elementary school years, etc., sports, social issues during puberty, drinking in college ...

wirrek said...

You don't need a book, go to http://community.cookinglight.com, healthy living, "new moms" thread. That is where I get all my info.

But, maybe I will after I get my children's book published!