Friday, March 2, 2007

Make it stop

My mom asked me today to "write a blog" about how they need to stop talking about Anna Nicole Smith and that nobody cares to see the motorcade with her body head to the airport or needs the time table of the funeral. I have to say I agree, but I told her that blogging about it, even to say that I am tired of hearing about it, only adds to the problem. It is best to ignore it. But, here I am anyhow. I will say that if it is a short piece on this story, I tune it out, however if it is a long one with interviews with the mother, and boyfriend, and lawyers, etc, I turn it off. Take that into account Today Show producers.


Last night I made an oldie, but goodie Alton Brownies by Alton Brown on the Food Network.

Cocoa Brownies
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
Soft butter, for greasing the pan Flour, for dusting the buttered pan 4 large eggs 1 cup sugar, sifted 1 cup brown sugar, sifted 8 ounces melted butter 11/4 cups cocoa, sifted 2 teaspoons vanilla extract 1/2 cup flour, sifted 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Butter and flour an 8-inch square pan. In a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the eggs at medium speed until fluffy and light yellow. Add both sugars. Add remaining ingredients, and mix to combine. Pour the batter into a greased and floured 8-inch square pan and bake for 45 minutes. Check for doneness with the tried-and-true toothpick method: a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan should come out clean. When it's done, remove to a rack to cool. Resist the temptation to cut into it until it's mostly cool.

Um, I ran out of flour and cocoa powder, so I added about a cup of whole wheat flour. They still were tasty and now, a little more healthy. Yay!

The pan used in this recipe is key. Glass is best. I have a blue 8"x8" glass pan that works great. Last night I used a slightly bigger ceramic dish which seemed to do pretty well. I upped the amounts of butter, and um, flour to compensate. If you use a metal pan, it simply won't be as good.

As always, I baked at a slightly higher temp (325, but have done 320 and 315) and started checking it at 45 minutes.

No comments: