Sunday, January 30, 2011

Vegan Day 2: Going to lunch and Sunday dinner

I have to admit, it still hurt a little bit this morning when I got up and still no hazelnut creamer in my coffee. This is going to be harder than I thought.

At any rate, it was Sunday, a church day, and after church we go to lunch. Mark loves lunch. Loves going out to lunch. When I tell him about my crazy diet ideas he is always concerned with what we will eat when we go out. Today we went to Moe's because I was pretty sure I could eat something there. I ordered the Art Vandalay. That is probably someone famous, but for me, it was just their vegetarian burrito. I had stopped ordering the burrito because the calories are high, but decided to try it today. Ordering at Moe's is a bit tricky because there are 4 people in my family and we all get something different. My burrito had moved to the "toppings station" and my helper was saying "cheese, lettuce, and salsa?" as he started to grab the cheese and put it on. "NO!" I barked at him. Everyone looked at me. "sorryiamdoinga10dayveganchallengesonocheese. Can I have guacamole please?" The burrito tasted...pretty much the same as one with the meat, cheese, and sour cream, but I just checked the nutional value and the vegan option brings it from a almost 800 calorie lunch to a much more reasonable 575 calories. Sweet.

I made a pretty big dinner tonight. That doesn't always happen believe it or not, but it was a casserole. That is right, a spicy tortilla casserole with roasted poblanos. I had a ton of corn tortillas to use up and this seemed like a good way to do so. It took some doing, I actually cooked all the potatoes yesterday (for the pizza too) and roasted the peppers then since the oven was hot. Today I made the salsa and the "cream" and put it all today.

Photobucket

Mark sat down and asked "what is this?" pointing to the top crust. I told him I would tell him when he was done eating. (it is a blend of silken tofu). It was a pretty good. I think it would be great when you could use fresh tomatoes for the sauce.

The thing about vegan cooking, and maybe I am an idoit for just realizing this, there just isn't a lot of fat. I was really craving a decadent dessert. So, I made some vegan brownies. I just did a quick search and found this recipe. Unfortuately, it is actually a low fat vegan brownie recipe. I wasn't so sure how they would come out...but they are delicious. Just what I needed.

Photobucket

I might have another one. It is ok, I'm vegan.

4 comments:

Juliet said...

Awesome! I can't wait to try both those recipes. I love anything Mexican food, and of course, chocolate is chocolate.
Go, vegan!

Michelle said...

I thought the enchilada recipe was pretty good too. I put a few too many potatoes in it. The raw vegan desserts are pretty high fat, as most have a lot of nuts and/or coconut butter. The Almost Vegan blog just made a tasty looking blondie that needs no dehydrating.

Anonymous said...

Dude - you are insane. This would require way too much thought and effort for me. Seriously, when I am at work, I will literally eat anything. If a kid forgets to pick up their lunch at the drop-off desk (where parents can drop off things for their kids and illegally text them to tell them it's there), I will eat it the next day. I could never plan this much.

wirrek said...

Really?!?! The parents are not allowed to text their kids?!?!? What kind of camp are you running over there?