Monday, January 31, 2011

Day 3: Movie Time Monday

Today started another week and we are desperately trying to get back into our routine. I instituted a "movie time monday" for my kids and some of the neighborhood boys. What this means is that I will be happy to watch your kids if you don't mind me putting on a movie and then going to work on dinner. I was a little tired before the boys came over and in the afternoon, there is only one way to fight it. My new favorite vegan snack, a green smoothie:
Photobucket

Mark says it looks gross, but it is actually quite delicious. In a blender I put a handful of ice, half of an avacado, 2 oranges, a handful of spinach, a teaspoon of honey, a splash of vanilla, some cold water then blend, blend, blend. After drinking I have definately noticed an increase of energy and had some great long distance runs after consuming one. Back to the boys:

The movie I got was 101 Dalmations, or as James calls it, Dalmation Dogs. When the movie first started, the boys insisted on all sitting on the same chair, including "no-nap Andy". Sigh:
Photobucket

After a round of fruit snacks (see I am not always "that mom"), I passed out popcorn popped in coconut oil.
Photobucket

Then they decided they wanted their own smoothie. I promised them a "pink smoothie". This is what was in it:
Photobucket

One orange, frozen strawberries, a handful of spinach, a bit of honey, a good bit of vanilla almond milk, and blend blend blend. And here are your boys drinking their spinach:
Photobucket

Henry had 2 cups! John did not have any, and I didn't push him because I was out of cups with lids.

This was a was succesful Movie Time Monday and they watch the movie for about an hour until they didn't.



It was ok because by then I had finished preping dinner (and checking email and facebook). Here was the result, Chickpea Cutlets with roasted veggies.

Photobucket

The cutlets were actually really good. Reminded me of an italian meatball almost. The roasted veggies were just cut, added olive oil, salt, and pepper, then in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes. James took one look at them and said, "I love cauliflower!" He ate all of it and asked for more until we ran out. Love that kid.

4 comments:

HenryParsons said...

The son ate spinach?!? Looks like i need to get the blender out!

Jenny said...

so, um, you need to post a recipe for the chickpea cutlets...

Andee said...

I do need some smoothie recipe's that the girls would eat. :-) And my girls like "the white broccoli" too! It's a miracle.

Michelle said...

I'll have to try the cutlets. Anything you can dip in ketchup is a win with my kids.

ps - I love green smoothies