Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Fish Tacos

"I love living in a small town. Sure, it pisses me off some when I really want a fish taco, but other than that it is great." - J Neal

I really miss Berryhill. They had the best fish tacos, and I swore I would never eat such a thing. I saw these in a recent issue of Everyday with Rachel Ray and tried them tonight. The fish wasn't as good as Berryhill, but it was crunchy, not greasy. I just added some lime juice to the sour cream and more cilantro. The real hit was the cabbage. My dad and DH did not understand it was suppose to be for the tacos. They kept eating it out of the bowl. I see some taco slaw in my future.

Baja Fish TacosTerri TsangFrom Every Day with Rachael RayFebruary 2007
FOUR SERVINGSPrep Time: 30 min Cook Time: 20 min
2 cups shredded red cabbage
1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons red salsa
Salt
1/3 cup sour cream
2 cups cornmeal
3 large eggs
1 pound cod, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices
Vegetable oil, for frying
Eight 6-inch soft corn tortillas
1. In a medium bowl, toss the cabbage, cilantro, 1/4 cup salsa and salt to taste. In a small bowl, stir together the sour cream and remaining 3 tablespoons salsa. Set both aside.
2. In a shallow dish, whisk together the cornmeal and 1 tablespoon salt. In another shallow dish, beat the eggs with a fork. Coat the fish slices in the cornmeal, then in the egg, then in the cornmeal again, and place on a plate.
3. In a medium cast-iron or other heavy skillet, pour the oil to a depth of 1 1/2 inches and heat over medium heat until the surface ripples, about 2 minutes. Add about a third of the fish slices to the skillet and cook, turning once, until golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a paper-towel-lined plate. Repeat with the remaining fish slices.
4. In a large skillet, warm the tortillas on both sides over high heat. Spread about 1 teaspoon sour cream sauce on a tortilla, then top with a few pieces fish and heaping spoonful of the slaw and fold over. Repeat with the remaining tacos.

No comments: