Monday, July 2, 2012

Reserving Judgement

Even though I work at a university, no, I do not get summer off!  Because of this, I had to find something for the kids to do since their school was out.  Unfortunately, there really aren't many options for kids who are not in elementary school yet, so we signed the kids up for the YMCA camp.  I have heard from other parents that they do use this camp as their summer day care so I figured, no big deal.  However, if you have been around me/talked to me at all this past month, you have probably heard me complain about this camp!  They are unorganized, they make the kids play outside in the rain, they make the kids play outside in the 100 degree heat, their bathing suits are destroyed, their clothes are ruined, James got sunburned, Andy had a tick, I don't like the drop off girl, blah, blah, blah, blah.  I am sure it has been very annoying.  However, we did go to the first Family Fun night, and it was....nice.  It was nice to see the kids being involved in their camp and doing camp things.  First of all, there was the pizza dinner.  This is James eating pizza!

Photobucket

It was a pretty nice spot.  It was at "The Waterfront".

Photobucket

After eating, the kids ran off to be crazy:

Photobucket

They eventually gathered in their groups.  That is their counselor, Magenta.  They all have funny names:

Photobucket

All the kids lined up to sing some songs.  I believe they were actually doing the "YMCA" here:

Photobucket

"This is a repeat-after-me song"

Photobucket

Then each group did a chant and a skit.  Both kids started off in "kinder camp".

Photobucket

It was really cute and it made me think that maybe this camp thing wasn't so bad.  James and Andy each got a special award.  James got the "Big Brother" award for helping out with Andy.  Andy got "Mr Smiles".  What?!?!  Andy Mr Smiles?!?  Well, hopefully it will still be ok!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Andee said...

Yeah, the YMCA camp definitely has it's pros and cons. I totally agree with everythign you said in your 1st paragraph. The destroying of the clothes, the playingoutside unless it's thundering (this is actually my girls favorite part - they love playing in the rain), the heat.

Wait, why did I send them to camp again this summer? :-)

Juliet said...

Ditto. Clemson Camp isn't that much more organized, I think that's the nature of camp... At least they are in the air conditioned school, though.
John survived last summer, he'll survive again. I guess the chaos is ok with me, that way it's different than being in school. Plus, I don't have to see it, so that makes it ok, right?
I'm glad Family Night made it a little better for you.