Sunday, February 19, 2012

Valentine's Day Mystery

We had some strange things happening around our house, and they all involved food. A batch of pancakes were made. No one really said anything, but I did feel that they tasted a bit salty, but Andy still ate them. Then a batch of waffles, I thought they tasted a bit weird, Mark thought they tasted fishy and accused me of making vegan waffles. But Andy still ate them. For Valentine's Day, I thought I would be super mom and make homemade donuts.

Photobucket

YUM! The recipe was actually for Maple Donuts with Smoked Salt. I made a few with salt and they were AWFUL. I thought it was the salt. Whose dumb idea was that to put salt on a donut. DUMB! Anyways, I served the remainder to the kids for Valentine's Day breakfast. They were so excited! Until they ate them. James is looking a little unsure:

Photobucket

But Andy still ate them:

Photobucket

To be honest, Andy just ate the frosting off. James decided that what was wrong with his donut was that it did not have enough frosting. Mark just said they were not good.

I went over and over this in my mind. What was wrong. It couldn't be the flour, I used different types in all the different baked goods (is that weird?) It couldn't be the oil, I used coconut oil this time. I finally honed in on the baking powder. I knew I had bought some at Trader Joe's the last time, maybe it just tasted weird. I went to the panty, reached for the baking powder, and it said...."BAKING SODA!" Oh, that explains everything. The baking soda is in a little can, just like baking powder, but trust me, NOT the same thing!

Went to Ingles, bought new baking powder and tried it again. This time, delicious!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Mystery solved!

No comments: