Thursday, December 9, 2010

My book club

Last year I joined a book club that was affiliated with the local Mom's club. Love my book club. We read a book a month, meet, discuss the book and other things. Oh, and there is wine. ;) Love, love my book club. We are meeting tonight and are bringing suggestions for books to read next year. We are suppose to bring our favorite books as suggestions. The moment that someone said this, I scoffed. I read a lot and don't even remember what I have read. But they insisted, so I have prepared a list. I have been giving this a lot of thought over the past month, but these are the books that came to mind. Most of these are not "book club" books, but good reads none the less.

1. Time Travelers Wife. When someone ask me what my favorite book is, this is what I say. This is a book club book. I like it because is jumps all over in time, but does so in a way that makes sense. It is one of those books that you don't really know what is happening until the end and you knew all along.

2. Pat Conroy. Oh, some of these are authors, not books. If I had to pick one, I would pick Lords of Disapline, but Prince of Tides is good too. Most of his books are set in the low country and he does it in a great way. Oh, and my aunt totally knows him!

3. The Shaaras (father and son). Dad wrote The Killer Angels and had a certain style that covered the battle of Gettysburg. After the died, son wrote books before and after that battle, and then covered other battles as well. I finally understand what started WWI! Of course, I can't remember now...

4. Saints at the River. This was written by Ron Rash, a local author. My mom used to work with him. But this was a very great novel. He also writes short stories, but I prefer the novels.

5. Gone With The Wind. When I was in 8th grade, I remember reading this until 10pm and telling my dad I couldn't talk anymore, the Yankees were in Atlanta! One of thos great big thick books!

6. Into Thin Air. It was between this and Into The Wild by the same author. Both are non fiction. Really good non fiction is one of my favorite things to read and both of these are great.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Several comments! First, your Aunt LOVES Pat Conroy! And I love Ron Rash!

Also, Dad had moved to CA while we finished the school year in TX. When he called you said, "I can't talk...the Yankees are coming...the Yankees are coming"!!!
8th grade and reading Gone With the Wind!!

Love that all these books that you mentioned are some of your favorites.

Mom

Andee said...

Ok, totally agree with Time Traveler's Wife and Gone With the Wind. I had a hard time with The Shaara's books - my dad reads them and loves them, but I just couldn't get into them. Maybe I was reading them in the wrong order?

I wish I had a book club. Of course, I wold need there to be another 4 hours in the day to fit it in......