Sunday, May 3, 2009

Mud Run 2009

The purpose of this post is to direct those of you who I told about my Mud Run this weekend to Beth's blog where there are pictures.

So, by now there are some of you who are saying "what is a mud run and what would you do that to yourself?" A mud run is a 4 mile race with 35 military style obstacles through out the course. The reason I allowed myself to be talked into it is that I thought it was a Muddy Buddy, where you just run a race and there is mud. That is a completely different thing.

However, this mud run was super fun. I really was not prepared although I was pretty sure I could run 4 miles. I was significantly less sure about the obstacles, but really, how do you even train for such a thing?

My favorite obstacle was running through the streams, although I kept thinking "listeria!" in my head. It felt really good on my sore legs. I also liked the rope bridge, but that might have been more because it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. My least favorite obstacles...anything with a lot of height: rope swing, cargo nets, 8 foot wall.

I really don't know how I did it. My poor teammates must have done most of the work getting me over the wall. Really, one moment I was getting a boost, the next I was over. It was an amazing thing. However, I really am sore today. It is a different kind of sore. Not only is their lactic acid build up, but there are bruises, pulled muscles, cuts, scrapes, you name it. I am beat up! But I would totally do it again. Thanks to my team: Beth, Jenny, and Christy for talking me into it. We did an amazing job!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

YOU were AWESOME! i've got an obstacle by obstacle break down race report here:

http://seejennygo.blogspot.com/2009/05/5th-annual-st-francis-mud-run-race.html

if anyone wants to see the course map and get a run down of what we all did :)

you're one of my heroes!

Andee said...

So jealous that I didn't get to do this. :-)