Sunday, September 16, 2007

TRI Hard

My triathlon was this weekend...and I finished - yay!!

Really, that was my goal. To finish and have fun. I would love to share my stats, but they won't be up for 2 weeks. Hello?!??! Can you say "chip timed"?

Anyways, so I really half-assed my way training for this one. I took this little class and they gave us a training guide for it. I took one look at it and thought, "yeah, right!" This was a SPRINT triathlon, so I really felt pretty comfortable taking it easy. We had to do a 300 yd swim, a 12.4 bike ride, and then a 5K. I knew I could do them separately, but together? That was the big question.

Training was easy. Basically, swim 30 minutes, run 35 minutes, and bike an hour twice a week. A couple of times I did a "brick" which is where you bike and then run. Running after biking is pretty hard! I still ended up using my mountain bike to ride. I knew that was not the best choice, but that is just how it worked out.

Race day started off kind of slow. Since I have not worked in over a year, I have had no reason to use an alarm clock and apparently, forgot how to set it. I wanted to wake up at 5:30 to be at the race at 6:30 and instead woke up at 6:17. Ooops. My pre-race was a little hectic, but was able to pick up my packet, get set up in the transition area, had the correct outfit on, and go to the bathroom before the race started. I did not get to warm up. Oh well, I guess that 300 yard swim was my warm up!

You get seeded based on your swim time. The fastest swimmers go first and the next swimmer starts 10 seconds after the one in front of them. The triathlon started at 7:30, but I started at 7:44 ish. Swimming for me is easy. I passed 3 people in the pool. Before I knew it, I was climbing out and heading for my bike.

I was really worried about the bike portion. Because of my mountain bike, I knew I was going to go a lot slower than everyone else and fancy smancy bikes. To help me cope with that, I decided to count the number of times I was passed. After 60 times, I would start getting worried about being last. I was passed exactly 50 times. I passed 2 people, but only because they were broke down. The ride was hilly, but I felt good. It probably took me around an hour to finish. Onto the run.

When I started, my legs felt like lead. That is pretty normal I think. It probably took 5 minutes to loosen up, but even then, I felt slow. I felt good...just slow. I got water at both water stops, which I never do (it is only a 5K). In the last mile, I started feeling kind of sick to my stomach, but I still felt very relax. When I crossed the finish line, the clock was at 1:48. Minus the 14 minutes it took me to start, I finished in about 1:34. That is one hour and thirty four minutes.

I really enjoyed doing the triathlon. I would love to do another. Well, another sprint triathlon. I really could not imagine doing a "full". I loved the fact that it was three different sports, and that I had to train in three different sports. I also lost about 2 pounds and I NEVER loose weight with excercise. (Of course, I am on the "running after a one year old diet".) The problem with triathlons is it is all about equipment: I would definitely need a bike, but everyone has tri suits, number belts, special laces, etc, etc, etc. For this race I bought a helmet, a pump, a pair of bike shorts and with my class and registration fees, I still spent $100. Oh well, at least I got the free tshirt!

9 comments:

Robin said...

Kerri, you're my hero! I would have called it good after the swim. Wow, you are one fit mama! Great job!

Andee said...

You are WAY more dedicated than I am. You did fabulous!

Mel said...

Wow! That is so awesome! I'm so happy you finished and you finished well. I remember my first tri, and I guarantee it was MUCH longer than 1:34. Congrats!!!

Lauren P said...

Way to go! You give me hope to reach my goal of running a half marathon next May....7-8 months after Sofia is born. =)

Beth said...

Wow...good job! I'm very impressed :-)

Becky S said...

Congratulations!! I look forward to my first tri next year. I am starting from scratch seeing how I haven't exercised in such a long time. Is there something before scratch? That's how out of shape I'm in. Good job!!

Cheryl said...

Awesome, awesome, awesome!

Kirsten said...

Just wanted to stop by and say hi and thanks for the comment : )
Your baby boy is absolutely precious...another wonderful IVF gift!
I'm still debating on the meds but you made me look at it from a different view where it wasn't centered so much on depression b/c I really don't feel all that depressed...but, you are so right, it's more about the anxiety and decision-making. Thanks for helping me see that!

Kirsten said...

Oh, and I think that is so awesome that you completed a triathalon! I'm just trying to get motivated to walk around my block :)