Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Vegan Power!

Perhaps you are wondering where I am with the whole vegan thing. Perhaps not. I feel like I am addressed a lot of the issues here and am ready to move on. I still eat vegan at home. I like it, I will continue it, but the main reason is that it is a lot cheaper. We will continue to eat vegan at home. However, when I go out, I am a "flexitarian". I eat meat and dairy, and I am ok with that. I probably won't go into the vegan thing on this blog any more, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

One last thing I wanted to post were my vegan power bars. These are similar to a Lara Bar. The inspiration was from this recipe and then some changes inspired by this site.

Here is how I do it:

Process 1 cup of almonds in the food processor until "resembles wet sand" ie when it starts to clump up. Dump into bowl.

Process 1 cup dates, a pinch of salt and a splash of vanilla. Process until it all clumps on one side of the processor and is finely choppped.

Add almonds back in with a handful of chocolate chips and a spoonful of peanut butter. Process.

Line a toaster oven pan with cling wrap and press mixture into pan. Refrigerate for at least an hour and cut into bars. YUM! I have eaten these before a race with good results. Vegan Power!

Photobucket

5 comments:

Juliet said...

Testimony from a real person:
I have had this "Kerri Bar" and they are very yummy. Not vegan-schmegan tasting at all!!
Love,
Juliet

KAJ said...

Ve-Gan Pow-wer! clap - clap - clap clap clap

Andee said...

I need a food processor!

michelle {the lively kitchen} said...

Have you read this?

http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/07/07/the-china-study-fact-or-fallac/

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

wirrek said...

Hey Michelle - I skimmed that post. I have to admit, when I was really The China Study I just found it really hard to believe that all animal protein was bad. I do truly believe that most studies like this are a little bit off and always take them with a grain of salt, but still believe a plant based diet is the best!