Saturday, November 15, 2008

The lowest form of life

Ok, ehem, I know there are photographers who read this blog, and I just want the record to show, I don't mean THEM.

But really, photographers are the lowest form of life.

No, that is not entirely correct. Human resources are the lowest form of life, then these photographers.

Not GOOD photographers (see above) but the ones in the little studios that you get your kids picture taken at once a year.

I have gone to portrait innovations a couple of times. They made me feel crappy, I spent a bunch of money, but I was pretty happy with the experience. I went to WalMart, spent a bunch of money, but was not happy with the experience. This last time, I went to JC Penny's. I spent a more reasonable amount of money, and had good pictures. The problem that I have is the same problem I had at all these places. Even though I am there to take pictures of my small children, they don't seem to realized that I HAVE SMALL CHILDREN!!!

This last time, we had a great photography session, then they said to give them 10 minutes for enhancements. What are enhancements? Well, it is this cheesey crap that cost 10x as much as regular pictures. I don't have time to wait around for you to finish this up and I don't have time for you to talk me into said crap. Example follows:

Photobucket

Yep, $30 for that. I liked the following one, if it wasn't on sale 50% off for $45.

Photobucket

I think the purpose of these enhancements are to make money off of bad pictures you normally wouldn't purchase such as:

Photobucket

Photobucket

(Andy just isn't a STAR like James is)

We did get some great ones:

Photobucket

Photobucket

This was definately my best experience yet, but maybe it is just because I am better at saying no. I do love that $3.99/sheet coupon!

6 comments:

Becky S said...

I've been thinking about doing our Christmas pictures at either OM or JCP. Had the same issues with Portrait Innov. That's where Gretchen's arm was dislocated the first time...and then we had to buy our pictures! (didn't know it was d/l at the time, they gave us a "coupon" to use the !next! time). So JCP was a good place? That's good to know. Thanks for the post!!!

Allison said...

Hey now... I must be the photographer you mentioned.
That's why I prefer weddings to kids. They are hard to photograph (I should know - my worst session was 6 kids 2 and under. I still have nightmares!).

The trick is to find a photographer at one of those places who actually cares about what they're doing. Most of these people are making $7.50/hour and don't care - they just want their paycheck. But you find the occasional gem who actually works to get good shots.

Now, on enhancements. Studios like Sears and Picture People are REQUIRED to do the enhancements. A photog can actually be fired for not doing them, I know - I've seen it happen. The best you can do is tell them up front you don't want them. But they still have to do it as a requirement from their corporate HQ. And, research shows that you are more likely to buy them if you see them in front of you.

But - my advice is to find someone your kids love and who will do what you want. That makes a world of difference.

Or - you can always hire me! :) I just give you a CD of images and let you print them yourself - much cheaper!

Mel said...

I love the pictures! Andy has a great smile, but I have to admit the one with James kissing his crying face was adorable. And you are right, nobody would otherwise buy it. But it's cute!

Andee said...

OMG Kerri, these are the cutest pictures! I totally would have bought all of them, because I don't have that "no" capability.

I've never had a problem with PI - I've been twice and liked the experience and the price. You'll have to tell me your stories.

Juliet said...

I'm glad some of them turned out good for you. I was just starting to get my act together to get John's Halloween pictures done, so that they can be back for Christmas ornaments...
I'm sure you had the photographer we always get (brunette, short, smoker's husky voice?). I don't get suckered into the enhancements any more either. It's definitely the bait and switch method of sales...

Susanne said...

This is too funny... and I love your perspective. We did the JCP portraits for a long time... until we happened into a congregation at church with a gal who just has an awesome eye and awesome fees. Good luck!!! I do, generally, like what we've gotten at JCP, but I totally agree with you on a hijacked enhancement prices. What a joke!