Thursday, October 28, 2010

Star Wars Light Show 1997

I had James watch this a few weeks ago, and he has just watched it again over and over. I decided to share.



I am at the top left, 4 from the end.

The light show was one of our traditions. They tried to do it every other year, if possible. Requirements include: had to be a night game (duh), not on tv, no visiting band, past the time change.

The light in the light show are glow sticks that were stuck in the "shako" hats where the plume would go. The flags, twirlers, and drum majors all had light sticks as well. The feature twirlers twirled fire.

The flashes at the end were from an old-timey flash cube with 4 flashes that was taped to our instruments somewhere. We would wear a paper clip on a string around our neck. At the end of the show...instruments down...find paper clip...feel cube...push thru one slot...and second slot...third...forth...giving the flashes. They would take a slow exposured picture of this and it was always a cool picture.

I think this particular show is actually our tradition Western Show, just done to Star Wars music. However, the ending Double T really should have been our traditional T-E-C-H drill.

Light Shows are not done any more. I think they have a hard time finding the flash cubes, most games are on tv with a visiting band, the time change is later, and I think it is a major safety hazard to turn off all the lights these days. Too bad, it was super cool!

7 comments:

Becky S said...

Ok, this is the coolest thing ever!

Unknown said...

You realize when your son gets his first instrument (Oh good grief! I can hear my brother from his grave!) he will expect to be able to do all this with his band!

Mrs. Wiggy said...

I love this!!!

Beth said...

That's awesome! We never got to do anything that cool!

HenryParsons said...

This is so awesome! But it did take me a minute to figure out what all the T-E-C-H stuff was and why the lights of Clemson looked so weird behind the stadium. I forgot about that other school you went to.

Lauren P said...

Way Cool!

Mel said...

I completely forgot this ever took place! Fortunately, I was able to find a video from 1995 to prove that I did, indeed, participate. Bummer I missed the Star Wars version, but so totally cool.